Friday, August 5, 2011

Is our fundamental right to vote a bread and butter issue?


I shan't say much here but I’d like to clarify a few key points after reading this healthy exchange. Whilst I'm all for raising policy issues, as those who have been involved with me will know too well, I feel that it certainly wouldn't hurt in highlighting the failures and ailments that plague and divide our people. I say this with all the sincerity, aiming at all and everyone who sit on both sides in the middle of the divide that is only far too apparent.

I see in your profile that you subscribe to the Liberal democrats of the UK. We share that in common. I remember speaking to Simon Hughes, one of the national leaders of the Lib Dems when he came to help me campaign in the constituency that I was standing in as a candidate. We were discussing the then pending voting system referendum in the UK and he told me this:

The legislature is figurative skull of society, which contains the brain, which can be represented by the elected representatives.

The electoral system is the chest, which houses the lungs. We know that the lungs processes the air that we breath, which is the equivalent of votes cast by the people.

The brain needs the lungs to provide it with oxygen to function; likewise, the lungs need to brain co-ordinate it’s operations. Both need each as much as the other.

I agree, that bread and butter issues need to and must be addressed. As a voter in Canning and Ipoh Timor, I will wait for the correct time, namely the next general election, in voicing with my single vote for each the state and parliament, to express my satisfaction or otherwise of whether or not Kit Siang, Kah Woh and DAP has done their job as elected representatives. Of course I have to take into account that DAP and their PR counterparts were originally elected in as the legitimate government, which was subsequently and illegally sabotaged, so I could only judge them on the basis of them being SA and MP in opposition. I must say, they haven’t done too bad a job so far.

Then again, I WOULD say that, wouldn’t I?

Let’s set aside the fact that I am the Campaign Director for DAP Canning and is playing a big part in the Kinta Valley DAP campaign strategy;

let’s set aside the past, with the illegal BN power-grab in 2009;

let’s set aside the fact that right here in Perak, more so than any other state in Malaysia, the people have been blatantly and utterly robbed of their constitutionally enshrined right of being governed by people they elect, with an unelected SA speaker, an MB who was appointed through a coup d’etat, and a prime minster who inherited his position through internal party appointment.

Lets set all that aside, an explore your so-called’ bread and butter issue’.

So, by you implying that my team’s support and involvement in the Bersih roadshow, is us NOT dealing with bread and butter issues of the people, I have to pose a couple of questions to you…

The voting system, which is definitely not fit for purpose, as it definitely doesn’t reflect the fundamental rights of the people to choose their representative to govern, is in dire need of a much needed change. I’m certain I speak on behalf of a lot of people on all sides of the political divide, that our current ‘first past the post’ system is NOT RIGHT and is a serious infringement of the peoples’ fundamental rights as well as an outright disregard of the peoples’ calls for change. With the clearly gerrymandered constituency borders to the advantage of BN (take Ipoh timor VS Putrajaya for example), and the sickeningly obvious attempt to undermine Pakatan stronghold by ‘someone’, I am frankly appalled by anyone who can’t see what is wrong about it.

So, by saying that we are not dealing with ‘bread and butter issues’, are you suggesting that the fundamental right of the vote is not important enough for us to address? Or do you mean it’s too important for us to address?

Showing support for a movement that is highlighting the urgent need for change of that system, and therefore fundamental right of each citizen that is the basis of our democracy, the oil that greases the wheels of society as we know it, in my opinion, can neither be not important enough nor too important for anyone to address.

I’m sure you’ll agree?

If you do, then GREAT. Give me a call, and we’ll discuss how we can work together, as you’re clearly passionate.

If you do, I’m sure you have your reasons. I’d love to hear them. I know I’ll disagree.

How do I know you may ask….

I shall leave you with another couple of questions.

Is breathing any less important than thinking?

Can we sustainably survive and thrive with either a dysfunctional set of lungs or a flawed brain?